Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chicken Pox Rant

Yesterday I called the Dr. office and asked if they wanted to see Liam if he has the chicken pox or whether just keep him at home since they really can't do anything for him since its a virus. I called the nurse at 9:25. By 10:30 she called me back asking when did he get his shot and what symptoms he is having. So I told her he had a fever on Friday etc. etc. She kept asking whether he had blisters or fluid filled sores.
I told her yes he has bumps on his arms and legs that look like fire ant bites.
So she said, so he doesn't have blisters.
That's right no blisters (or what I would call blisters) but smaller bumps on his arms, legs, and face.
So no fluid filled sores like pimples?
No he does have them. He looks like a bumpy toad.
But no blisters?
No blisters.
What about scabs?
None that I've noticed.
So no fluid filled blisters?
No, but smaller bumps on his arms and legs
I'll talk to the doctor and call you back

1:30pm Well it falls in the right timeline of when he would get them if it was from the vaccine. Dr. Lockhart said because it isn't following the progression of chicken pox (aka fever, rash, bumps, and scabs) that its prob a viral fever rash. Does he have blisters?...Okay, insert the 1st conversation again and then she when to explain what chicken pox would look like. If anything changes call us back.

First of all, I know what chicken pox looks like. I had them when I was 13. It wasn't pretty. Second, I know what a viral rash looks like. Liam has already had hand-foot-mouth disease and croup, both have viral rashes. He has raise fluid filled bumps not blisters. Blisters to me are larger than pimples or fire ant bites like the size of a pea. And its not a flat rash. If it wasn't chicken pox, I would be a hell of a lot more concerned of the raised rash and they should have asked for me to bring him in if they thought it might be something else. He didn't have scabs when I called, but by the end of the day he did. I didn't even bother calling back and waiting all day to here back from them. I'll talk to Lockhart at his next appt.

No comments: